Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Ohh The Scary Blood Test


So I went last week to have my ever scary and hopefully last blood test. This one was my best performance so far. Not a tear was shed and I was calm and collected. A pleasant surprise for the staff members that have to deal with me on a regular basis.

The first test (being my first blood test ever) begins with me sitting in the waiting room sobbing, crying while waiting until I hear the dreaded call of my name. I tell the nurse that I need a bed to lie down in as there is no way I am sitting in one of those creepy chairs hanging my arm out for needles to be stuck in.. To me it looks sort of like an electric chair with its special arm rest... No way am I getting in that contraption!! So after I get an eye roll or two from the collector I lie down pull up the arm on my special "needle shirt" (this is the one sweat shirt I own that I know the arms are not to tight and I can roll them up) place the Walkman in my ears as I do not want to hear nothing and place my free arm over my eyes as I do not want to see anything either. Seems like a lot of work for one simple test that really takes 30 seconds out of my life!! Oh well the test begins and keep in mind I am still crying. Okay I am thinking this is not so bad it hurts a little but really birth is probably going to be a lot worse so I begin to calm down.. Its over the collector leaves me alone and I think okay that was a little embarrassing for a 31 year old!! But great it is over and I get to leave hoping to never come back again..

Guess I am not so lucky I have had to get 4 blood tests for this pregnancy - most people only get two but I seem to have a doctor that likes to order random tests for something fun to do!!

Test 2 went a bit better I cried but for the most part only while driving to the clinic and I did manage to calm myself down before I walked into the clinic, then during the test I started to cry again.. This time the collector was a sweet little English lady who just chalked up my crying to hormones. Little did she know I am an irrational person when it comes to getting a needle of any sort!!

Test 3 goes okay I am mad at this point as I have no idea why another test is being ordered and nobody can tell me why either. So I go into the room lie down start the preparation procedures and then my eyes start to well with the inevitable tears.. But hey I think to myself I getting better at this if I can do this I can do anything..

Test 4 best yet - This is the glucose test where you get to go to the clinic and drink some sugar, which is a great thing as right now I crave sugar in any form, and sit for an hour then get the test. You can not leave the clinic for this hour you just sit in a back room and wait. Smart me I brought a book so I sat in this room and read. It was nice and relaxing, then I hear my name.... YIKES it is time. So the ritual begins, I prepare for the inevitable, Okay so this one hurts a little more then the others, I am thinking the arm band might be to tight, but soon enough it is over.. I am free... And not a tear, not a single one and this truly is a great moment for me..

Hopefully that is the last one for this pregnancy. I think I am good and needled out..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, lying down is probably a good idea, as at least you didn't hit the floor....

ItCantJustBeMe said...

Holy cow, I remember you wouldn't even get the flu shot at work. Congratulations. Doesn't matter if you made it through the ugly way, crying and sobbing, as long as you made it through. I call it "passing efficiently".